2007-12-29

Viva viva - ein neues Jahr!

Well, it's been a long time since I posted anything here, so it's time to make amends.

I've been very excited to find a few worthy X-Mal downloads appearing on mp3 blogs. From the "Mehr Licht! unbound" blog are these must-haves: The other Peel Sessions (1982, 83 and 84) and the Janice Long session (1986). Also available is a rip of the lovingly-compiled bootleg CDRs of all the X-Mal singles: Singled Out (also here).

I've finally got my act together to start digitising the few X-Mal bootlegs I own myself, so those will go up soon. Hopefully it will encourage others to share their live recordings. It would also be great to hear any demos (particularly those for "Devils", which are allegedly much more like the X-Mal of yore than the later slimmed-down soft-rock incarnation).

Since I'm about to start posting some mp3s, I'll quickly note my own perspective on the whole ethics debate. My view is that mp3 blogs are a great way to archive and share otherwise unavailable material with fellow fans, but I don't like copyright theft, particularly of material that's readily available elsewhere or might get an official re-release, so I won't be posting any of the official releases here.

If you're a fan of X-Mal and don't already have all the official releases, you can still buy the 4AD CDs ("Fetisch" and "Tocsin") from Amazon (or secondhand from Gemm), or - better still - get them cheaper, save resources and let the artists get a royalty by downloading them from eMusic.

The two later CDs ("Viva" and "Devils") are long since out of print, but still pop up occasionally on eBay.

No comments: